1. The WhoCraft forums are looking awfully empty... Never fear, your friendly neighbourhood survival server is still around -- but our forums did suffer a massive database loss. Know that you've been here before but you can't log in? Check out our Q&A.
  2. Stay awhile and stroll around the community. Hop in our DIscord channel if you want some instant chat with members. Looking to apply to join our server? Be sure to read the thread "How to Apply" and get ready to open your chests and your soul, and make some new life-long gaming friends.

IGN: bevr

Discussion in 'Apply to WhoCraft!' started by bevr, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bevr

bevr New Member Server Member

IGN: bevr
    Discord: silentdunes36

(1) When did you start playing Minecraft and why? Tell us about the person that got you hooked or the gameplay element that inspired you. What brings you back each night? I bought the game in the late alpha, maybe a month or two before the switch to beta. I played as much as possible for the first couple years for the joy of exploring a random world and building communities with others in multiplayer. I got burned out when my main multiplayer server switched from simple survival to a faction based server, and now the server is gone completely. I'm back because exploring a world in single player isn't as fun as doing it with others.

(2) Tell us about your favorite block or item, the one you can't live without, and why? I always have a couple torches on hand when exploring to be able to jump into caves or ravines without having to go back for supplies.

(3) Tell us about your Minecraft style -- What do you like to do in Minecraft? Are you a farmer, a builder, a redstoner, or maybe a jack-of-all-trades? What's your go-to when you first start on a map? Is there anything funny or unique you add to a map that you think most other people don't do? When I play I pick a direction from spawn and start traveling until I find a place I think is nice for a home base. The base tends to be built into a hill/cave and I try to incorporate a tower into it, so a hobbit hole mixed with a watch-tower. After that I either use that base as a home point for exploration or I incorporate myself into a town (depending on the server/community). At my base I tend to homestead, having a patch of crops for me and/or some livestock.

(4) Tell us all about the coolest thing you've ever done or built in Minecraft by yourself. Then tell us about the coolest thing you ever did with a group. I've built an underwater city, in survival multiplayer. The city itself was cool, but the most awesome thing I've seen is when the server switched maps but made the map with my city open to griefing and looting. Other players looted the city, so water flooded some buildings and it was torn to hell. I walked through my own Bioshock level and I loved it.
    Group wise I never did anything except for be a team player. I've mined resources for builders and grew food for a community while they did their things.

(5) When you're not playing MC, what other things do you like to do (gaming, television/YouTube, other creative indoor or outdoor hobbies...)? Are there other video games you like to play? I read books, I'm getting into amateur radio, I play disc golf when I can, I watch old and "artsy-fartsy" movies, and I play strategy games and RPGs like XCOM 2, Stellaris, or Fallout.

(6) Tell us a bit about your home life - no need to be too detailed and feel free to let us know if you'd rather keep this private. Do you work or go to school (or both)? Do you have a roommate, spouse, kids, parents (or others) that you live with? What kind of real life responsibilities or obligations do you have? I'm a university student, and that's all I'd like to say.

(7) Have you played on other MC servers before? Yes

(7a) If yes, what was the longest you were ever on a server? How often did you log in? What did you like about it? What did you dislike? Why did you leave? I played on one server for maybe 6 years total, three years consistently and the other three years were maybe for a month or two before retiring. I started to leave when the server transitioned from survival to factions and mini-games. I was a moderator towards the end of my time there, but I just wasn't enjoying the game.

(7b) If no, what has kept you from trying out other servers before?

(8) Why would you like to be on our server? What do you think we have to offer that fits your playstyle? I just want survival mode minecraft but with other people. No clans, no mini-games, no perks, just playing the bare bones game with the ability to go "Hey! I found this really cool valley!" and for people to to be able to see what other's have made or found.

(9) What does 'community' mean to you? What do you think you can contribute to our community? Community is a group of people bound together through common interest or geographic location at a small scale (normally less that 200 people). Anything bigger becomes less of a community and takes on a more impersonal role where you're an individual surrounded by other individuals.
    I think I'll contribute myself. My views, my experiences, me.

(10) How did you find us and what did you see that made you want to apply? I found this through r/mcservers, which I was browsing because I wanted to find a new minecraft server. I applied because this was the only server I saw that fit all my criteria.

(11) Have you ever used Discord before (or something similar, like Skype, Ventrilo, or Teamspeak)? Do you have any issues with joining the WhoCraft Discord? What do you think of being in a chat channel that keeps us all connected daily? I've used discord, I don't particularly like it. I don't have issues being in it, but I just have issues following a discord and its channels. I think having a place for a community to connect outside of whatever formed the community is good, but I prefer the slower nature of forums than the rapid messages of a group chat like system.

(12) Is there anything else you want us to know about you? I probably won't have a microphone to use for voice chat most of the time, and I prefer to talk with the in game chat.

2. SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze Administrator Staff Member Server Member

Hi @bevr, welcome to WhoCraft!

Nice application, I thought the description of your underwater city getting "Bioshocked" was fascinating, most people might be upset but that's a fantastic and unique outlook.

I think that you might be a nice fit for us, maybe on the quiet/reclusive side (but that's not an issue at all). We have a nice variety of personalities and I'm sure you would make friends and find your niche if you wanted to be here.

Your response on Discord is out of the norm. We've gotten a huge positive response on Discord, we've brought on new members who say they only look for servers with Discord channels now, and it has really brought our community's communication and interaction to a whole new level that we've never seen before.

Having said that, it's not required that you participate 100% on Discord BUT we typically do a voice chat interview and tour with every new member. We never whitelist blindly and allow someone on the server without talking voice-to-voice to an admin (if not several admins and/or members) on their first visit. If you are willing to listen and respond by typing (because you have no mic) we can work with that. Is this something you are able to do with us?

Let me know. Feel free to PM me in Discord if you have questions. :)