1. The WhoCraft forums are looking awfully empty... Never fear, your friendly neighbourhood survival server is still around -- but our forums did suffer a massive database loss. Know that you've been here before but you can't log in? Check out our Q&A.
  2. Stay awhile and stroll around the community. Hop in our DIscord channel if you want some instant chat with members. Looking to apply to join our server? Be sure to read the thread "How to Apply" and get ready to open your chests and your soul, and make some new life-long gaming friends.

IGN: ThrokesJones

Discussion in 'Apply to WhoCraft!' started by ThrokesJones, Jul 4, 2017.

1. ThrokesJones

ThrokesJones New Member Server Member

IGN: ThrokesJones
    Discord: ThrokesJones

(1) When did you start playing Minecraft and why? Tell us about the person that got you hooked or the gameplay element that inspired you. What brings you back each night?
    I bought Minecraft freshmen year of college to join a server that some people I met had thrown together. The local server was over our college's network, and it was privately hosted on a student's personal laptop. Me and my new friends took to this server day and night, and the community I found in it was incredible. We weren't just getting to know each other, but we also had goals, and dreams of what we could create. Eventually we all chipped in to purchase online server space to have a 24 hour server. That community died out, but I come back to recreate that magic of mature, yet creative and fun Minecraft.

(2) Tell us about your favorite block or item, the one you can't live without, and why?
    I think the enchanting table is the way to truly unlock Minecraft. When I first started Minecraft I found myself getting frustrated with how difficult it was to find as many resources as I wanted. Then I discovered enchanting. Not only do I get stronger items, with fortune and looting I can have more of them! It was (embarrassingly enough) about a year after starting Minecraft that I discovered level 30 enchants. Now, a reed farm and cow farm are two of the quickest things I start in my new worlds.

(3) Tell us about your Minecraft style -- What do you like to do in Minecraft? Are you a farmer, a builder, a redstoner, or maybe a jack-of-all-trades? What's your go-to when you first start on a map? Is there anything funny or unique you add to a map that you think most other people don't do?
    I have never thought about this before! I tried to start a server with some of my friends (I was the only frequenter) and some of the first things I usually do is an enchanting table (as mentioned above) but also scope out the area. I will often dig out a temporary base and map out a bit of the area before I settle down. After I do settle down, a more extensive map room is usually one of the first things I build. Other than that, I really enjoy challenging myself to explore. Often I will just walk--for thousands and thousands of blocks.

(4) Tell us all about the coolest thing you've ever done or built in Minecraft by yourself. Then tell us about the coolest thing you ever did with a group.
    For myself--I tend to build a lot of small things in conjunction with itself. I often build small villages that I will settle down in, and then build paths and roadways between the villages. With others, we build a giant (non-nether, we made it really hard on ourselves) railway system between all of our houses. Although I didn't do much of the track laying, I mostly contributed resources (rip to any iron I got on that server).

(5) When you're not playing MC, what other things do you like to do (gaming, television/YouTube, other creative indoor or outdoor hobbies...)? Are there other video games you like to play?
    I'm a big coffee snob, part of the third wave coffee movement. Other than that, I am a musician, playing guitar and trombone. I enjoy any type of music, so just let me know what you've been listening to! Youtube is my "veg time," watching lately: hermitcraft. I do play other games, but not as much as Minecraft. I am just now getting around to playing Borderlands 1. Some of my other games I have played in the past year are Left for Dead, The Talos Principle, Portal, and various Nintendo games.

(6) Tell us a bit about your home life - no need to be too detailed and feel free to let us know if you'd rather keep this private. Do you work or go to school (or both)? Do you have a roommate, spouse, kids, parents (or others) that you live with? What kind of real life responsibilities or obligations do you have?
    I don't want to go into too much detail, but I am a Psychology student with multiple on-campus jobs for another year. After this year, I will be pursuing graduate studies in Higher Education and Student Affairs. I am engaged to be married in 2018.

(7) Have you played on other MC servers before?
    Yep! But just locally.

(7a) If yes, what was the longest you were ever on a server? How often did you log in? What did you like about it? What did you dislike? Why did you leave?
    On and off for two years. I logged in at most, everyday. At least, once or twice a month, just to check out whats been going on. I liked the community that was formed, but as it died out to me being the only one logging on for the last 6 months, I am looking to try something new.

(7b) If no, what has kept you from trying out other servers before?
    I've been lucky to live close to my community! I've never had to try anything online, and now that chapter of my life has started dying down, I would like to join a new community.

(8) Why would you like to be on our server? What do you think we have to offer that fits your playstyle?
    I'm just looking to see some cool builds, join people on journeys, contribute to the community's goals, and have a place where my personal builds can exist consistently. I don't think it gets more simple than that!

(9) What does 'community' mean to you? What do you think you can contribute to our community?
    Community is a group of people that are committed to each other--for good times or bad--to each other first, and the goal second. I want to build, but I first want to make sure that if I build, it will fall into the community's purpose, and to make the server the best place for everyone.

(10) How did you find us and what did you see that made you want to apply?
    Reddit! I've been looking on r/mcservers for a while, and the community goals and premise of mature community (God bless the 18+ rule, even though I am close to it, I tend to see myself drift to those who are older than me) were enticing.

(11) Have you ever used Discord before (or something similar, like Skype, Ventrilo, or Teamspeak)? Do you have any issues with joining the WhoCraft Discord? What do you think of being in a chat channel that keeps us all connected daily?
    Nope! Honestly, I've never done anything with intentional online community before, where my interactions are key. I am excited to try it out though.

(12) Is there anything else you want us to know about you?
    My favorite animal is a polar bear. They are equal parts massive and terrifying, and cute and cuddly. Also, my favorite color is green.

2. SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze Administrator Staff Member Server Member

Very good application Throkes! You're on the younger end of our age spectrum but it sounds like you're going to do just fine here. Love the extra bit of info -- coffee, polar bears and green? Those are all very good things that rank high in my world too (I can't live without good coffee). I know we'll get along just fine! :)