1. The WhoCraft forums are looking awfully empty... Never fear, your friendly neighbourhood survival server is still around -- but our forums did suffer a massive database loss. Know that you've been here before but you can't log in? Check out our Q&A.
  2. Stay awhile and stroll around the community. Hop in our DIscord channel if you want some instant chat with members. Looking to apply to join our server? Be sure to read the thread "How to Apply" and get ready to open your chests and your soul, and make some new life-long gaming friends.

Post your setup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic & Real Life' started by hpoom, Feb 7, 2017.

1. hpoom

hpoom New Member Server Member

This is a thread I started on Discord but sits better on the forums. Interested to know what setup people are running. So please post your setup and what FPS you typically get in Minecraft.

I will kick it off:
    MacBook Pro 13" - Late 2013 model
    OS X 10.11.6
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

The graphics is the big let down, you only get dedicated graphics on a 15" MacBook Pro which is far too big for me. I typically get 50-60FPS running Optifine, but as my son's get older I am thinking seriously about buying an Intel i5 Gaming PC.

2. The Wizard Llewyn

The Wizard Llewyn New Member Server Member

Dexter plays on my Macbook Air 2011 model 1.6gighz 4GB Ram
    I go between my MacbookPro (i7 2.5GHz, 16GB Ram, Radeo R9 M370x 2GB graphics)
    and my desktop: i5 3.4 gighz, 16GB Ram, nVidia 960, solid state drive for OS

With Dexter, I turn his chunks down to about 6 or 7 and reduce as much of the graphical addons. For me, I normally play with 8-9 chunks, with shaders, and get a solid 60 FPS (i frame limit to 60). I usually get the same with modded, but I don't use shaders with modded.

3. sartzava

sartzava Administrator Staff Member Server Member

Dell Inspiron 3847
    Intel Core i7-4790 @3.60 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Stock integrated graphics
    This is a stock machine, nothing added or customized, but I'd like to get a video card for it at some point. Despite that, I am able to play with all the standard settings without any problem, even most modded worlds.

4. SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze Administrator Staff Member Server Member

Custom Built - June 2012
    **Confirmed; I'm actually surprised, I thought it was a year or two older. I don't play anything crazy but it runs everything I play just fine.
    Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz (Quad) with an MSI Gaming mobo and a Corsair H100 Water Cooler
    **This CPU and MSI board was a highly rated gaming combo back in 2012, even though it was already a few years old -- and it ran $250 less than an i7 setup. At the time I was still playing EverQuest primarily.
    16.0 GB RAM (2x 8GB GDDR5)
    128GB SSD drive to run Windows 7 64-bit; 3 TB secondary
    **Partitioned into 4 drives, I have less than 100GB of normal personal files and software, this way it doesn't waste time searching blank locations. MC runs off the SSD due to the nature of MC, it won't let you put it on a non-C: drive. But I honestly believe that the SSD helps everything run smoother because of the speed of writing temp files / short term memory files.
    NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB GDDR5)
    **I think the gfx card was the last thing I added, but it wasn't long after I built the computer. I intended to get a 2nd one and SLI them together, but they stopped making them shortly after I bought it.

Vanilla Minecraft - I run between 60 -120 FPS typically, depending on where I am on the map and what I'm doing. I'll hover at 90~ but I might get little spikes down to 20-30's in the worst spots in Legacy City (not enough to stutter or really be noticeable). Plays modded well with the same settings.
    Fancy GFX, Max lighting, 12 chunks; 8GB allocated

Note: I helped my boyfriend's brother build himself a computer less than a year ago, we got him an i5 (newer model obviously) because the difference in performance from an i5 to an i7 -- 5 years later -- still doesn't justify double the cost for the average person. In fact, I've built 4 computers since mine that were all i5's. Clearly, since they keep making newer generation i5's they're still worth making and using. Unless you're just trying to build a beast with no budget.

5. The Wizard Llewyn

The Wizard Llewyn New Member Server Member

Sart, it's such a shame that you have such a nice machine with such a garbage graphics card! I have my old GeForce 650, which is collecting dust, if you'd like that, although you could easily get something with a bunch more power for $150 or so (I got my 960 for $200 a few months ago)

6. sartzava

sartzava Administrator Staff Member Server Member

Yeah, it's on my list, but lower down than other more important things. Like a Roomba... :)

Minecraft runs fine with the integrated graphics, so I'm not too worried about it.

SunnyDaze likes this.
  7. hpoom

hpoom New Member Server Member

Been reading reviews of the Intel Pentium Dual Core G4560 3.5 GHz CPU. It get amazing ratings for a sub £65 (less than $75) CPU. Could be a good choice for an entry level Gaming PC. I might look into it some more and build a PC for my kids.