1. The WhoCraft forums are looking awfully empty... Never fear, your friendly neighbourhood survival server is still around -- but our forums did suffer a massive database loss. Know that you've been here before but you can't log in? Check out our Q&A.
  2. Stay awhile and stroll around the community. Hop in our DIscord channel if you want some instant chat with members. Looking to apply to join our server? Be sure to read the thread "How to Apply" and get ready to open your chests and your soul, and make some new life-long gaming friends.

WhoCraft Mod Pack

Discussion in 'Modded Minecraft' started by sartzava, Jan 30, 2017.

1. sartzava

sartzava Administrator Staff Member Server Member

WhoCraft has a very long history of playing Modded Minecraft. One of the things that makes Modded hard, though, is when some people know what they are doing and others don't. The veterans get things going too fast and the uninitiated feel completely left behind. The best ways I have seen to mitigate that effect are to play with a limited number of mods or play a hardcore questing modpack so that everyone has a consistent progression to follow.

I'd like to get together another modded or progressive map we can all play together on a weekly basis, but I do want to make sure we are actually working together. Here are a few options that might be interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1. Captive Minecraft: This is not technically modded, but it is a team-based vanilla map. In Captive Minecraft you start out with a one-block-wide world border that only expands as you complete achievements. The world usually takes up most of the world height, with lots of hidden chests and other goodies you can find as you explore the slowly expanding world. There are four Captive Minecraft maps at the moment, some of which are easier than others. I'd recommend we start with IV: Winter Realm. There are some grindy parts, like AFKing at spawners and digging out the world to find stuff, but I think we can all do the achievements together.

2. SkyFactory 3: This is the updated version of the skyblock mod pack we played last year. I think we could set up some team rules that make it easier for everyone to stay on the same page and learn as we go.

3. Project Ozone: This mod pack uses the Hardcore Questing Mod. We can turn off the limited lives side of things, but the progression might help us keep everyone on the same page. My biggest beef with this mod pack is that it's on 1.7.10, not a later version.

4. A WhoCraft Mod Pack: I think it would be great for us to make our own mod pack. We could treat it as a progressive learning experience by starting out with only a small number of mods and doing training/focus on those mods on Saturdays. We could add new mods periodically if we want, or, better yet, start off with a small list, then completely reboot the world with more added in once everyone is comfortable with those. If we only add a few at a time we can keep things from getting too far too fast.

5. Farming Valley: This is another questing mod, but with a much more interesting approach. You have to farm lots of food and sell things through the market. You also have NPCs that can build buildings for you, so a big part of the story is building a town with the different buildings you'll need. Iskall85 has started a series on this recently:

6. Forever Stranded: Another great HQM modpack, with a storyline. This one is pretty hard because it adds ways for your character to overheat and die from thirst.

Those are my ideas. Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. The Wizard Llewyn

The Wizard Llewyn New Member Server Member

My thoughts:
    1) Captive Minecraft - Could be fun - would make a good event. They have an end-game, and would be pretty quick. I'm down for this as an event. Dexter could also join (which means it's much easier for ME to join).

2) Skyfactory 3 - Sky Factory is tough, because it's all about automation, and there is no exploration. I've found these worlds tend to end quickly (in that people run out of interest). Also - it's too easy to share resources and therefore make it a bit harder for others to learn new mods/progression. Additionally - it's so custom that you often DON'T learn mods and have to learn mods in the context of a skyblock...

3) Project Ozone - There are similar type modpacks for 1.10. Project Ozone is OK...

4) A WhoCraft Mod Pack - This is my vote, but when answering the follow up "what would we choose" the question comes down to "what do we want from the pack." If we want - like SF2 - a distraction for a few months, then we can work on things that offer lots of automation and quick progression. If you want something you can play for 1+ year, then you want to limit automation, and add lots of exploration mods. I've built quite a few modpacks. In fact, I even have one at the AT Launcher that is low-automation, with only medium tech,, but LOTS of exploration, and LOTS of extra dimensions and fun things to do. It's 1.7 but I could probably remake most of it in 1.10. It was a server, and a few friends ended up playing it for about 6 months before it died (mainly because people weren't playing, and not because the server died).

3. sartzava

Thanks, Wiz!

I would personally vote for the WhoCraft Mod Pack, too. As for "what do we want", I think it would be best to break up the mods into some categories and play progressively for a month or two with each one, until everyone has had a chance to get comfortable with them. For example:

1. Beginner mods: Pick the mods that make the biggest difference in the beginning of the game. I'd go with Tinkers Construct for sure. Probably some of the utilities mods, too, that add nice stuff to vanilla. Maybe something for storage like Storage Drawers.

2. Early Automation: Add in Ender IO and possibly another early automation mod to help people get their feet wet in the basics. Outlaw the more complex stuff in these mods (like mob spawners, etc.) until later.

3. Farming and eating: Add in some mods that change this aspect of the game, like Pam's HarvestCraft, Forestry, and Mystical Agriculture. Use the Farming Station from EnderIO.

4. Cosmetic: Chisels & Bits, Quark, MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod, etc. Build out our team base to be something amazing and functional.

5. Power Gen: Add in some mods like Extreme Reactors, Extra Utilities, RF Tools, and Deep Resonance that are all about creating tons of power. Build out a great power gen system to support the next part of our adventure.

6. Automation and storage: AE2/Refined Storage, Ender IO mob spawners, Environmental Tech, Ender Quarry, etc. Get all set up with a killer storage system, automation, auto-crafting, quarrying for massive amounts of resources, etc.

7. Exploration mods: Add mods like Twilight Forest, Aether, RF Tools, etc., and explore each area together. Those first two, specifically, can be pretty hard and will require some decent gear to tackle, so we don't want to put these at the top.

8. Magic: Thaumcraft, Botania, etc.

Not all mods follow this exact progression, but if we pick them wisely and only add a small number each time we should be able to focus in on each mod well and get everyone up to speed on it before we move on to the next set.

We will want to decide how often we want to reboot the world. It might make sense to do that a few times as we are getting started, but not later since we will have built a lot of good stuff. The main problem I see is that some mods need their own world gen, but we can always just explore further out. Maybe we plan to reset after the Farming stage and then try to leave it up after that for one year. Or, we can set a world border and only extend it as needed.

4. The Wizard Llewyn

Progressively turning mods on as an interesting idea, although can have lots of unintended consequences. Ultimately, as long as it's not skyblock, people can just find their own area, and progress at their own pace. Only in rare circumstances such as the Aether or Twilight Forest, do you really need to progress together as a team (although the Twilight Forest is infinite, and you can run it multiple times, or even reset it...

Here's a list of mods that I used in my pack. Broken down by type.

Building
    Carpenter's Blocks
    Chisel

Food
    Pams Harvestcraft

Exploration
    Floating Ruins
    Artifacts
    Battle Towers
    Biomes-o-plenty
    Hardcore Ender Expansion
    Headcrumbs
    Recurrant Complex
    Roguelike Dungeons
    Ruins
    Twilight Forest

Magic/Tech
    Aura Cascade
    Botania
    Ender IO
    Witchery

General Utility
    Better Anvils
    Essential Craft
    NEI
    Waila
    Mapwriter
    Open Blocks
    Special AI (for better mobs)

Tools
    Clockwork Phase (as an alternative to Tinkers, because tinkers is in EVERY pack)
    Extra Utils
    Tinkers + Iguana Tweaks

As you can see, low tech, high on exploration. Low on automation, although with ender quarry, as long as you can come up with a rig to make enough power, you can mine out a pretty big region quickly, but even still, takes time. I spent quite a bit of time balancing the configs so that things remained stable for a long time. The server held up for 6+ months, and by that point, nearly everyone was on "end game" materials. Flight IS in the pack through angel-rings, but could be turned off/disabled. For example, the twilight forest is a MUCH harder challenge without flight...

5. The Wizard Llewyn

Also, here are some pre-made 1.10 modpacks to draw inspiration from:

FTB Direwolf 20 https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/253632-ftb-presents-direwolf20-1-10
    FTB Infinity Lite https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/253176-ftb-infinity-lite-1-10
    Farming Valley (a remake of stardew valley, of sorts, in minecraft, made by my friend Keehan) https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/254202-farming-valley

Infinity lite is a slow-progression, but in the end has high automation and tech. It can be a bit "grindy" (but hey, that's minecraft) although long-term stability of the server is not guaranteed because high-tech often means lots going on, meaning lag & crashes...

6. sartzava

I'll let others comment on this, too, but I think part of the goal with this world is to make it a team build and a learning experience. If someone wants to go off on their own and progress how they want that's not necessarily a problem, but the concerns are always that many people will be left behind. I think there's a lot of value in having a slow, specific progression and learning the new mods as a team.

That's a good list of mods, though some of them are not updated in 1.10, which I think we should use. Direwolf20's pack has a lot of good stuff in it. There are some things I like more about the HermitCraft pack, personally.

Farming Valley is another option I'll put on the top level of this conversation. It's a great questing modpack that does not seem as grindy as others. Iskall85 has been doing a series on it, and I actually thought my wife might like it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. sartzava

Another idea: TerraFirmaCraft. Talk about an abnormal modded approach...

8. Reno1987

Reno1987 Dutch Ambassador Server Member

I like the idea of Whocraft having a modpack of it's own, I think we are unique and awesome enough to deserve one, and to have a good discussion about what kind of mods we should include in said modpack;) (as long as two mods are not conflicting, maybe everyone pick a mod each, with a couple of favourites thrown in?)

Until we have our own modpack however, I like either captive Minecraft or the Forever stranded options:) Whatever we end up choosing though, it would be kind of nice to have some kind of training first, as I was a total noob with regards to Tinker's Construct, until Sart uploaded a new world after the UHC in which I could practice a bit with it.:D I'm still learning about the tool-making, but with this training I'm at least a little bit more knowledgeable!:)